A sport Betting addict goes from a fun, harmless diversion to an unhealthy obsession with serious consequences, which can interfere with work, and lead to financial disaster. As an addict, you may even do things you never thought you would, like running up huge debts or even stealing money to bet. One major way to stop sport betting is to remove the elements necessary for gambling to occur in your life and replace them with healthier choices. The four elements needed for gambling to continue are:
STEPS TO FOLLOW AS A SPORT BETTING ADDICT
The following are ways that can assist in the process of putting a stop to being a sport betting addict:
- A decision:For sport betting to happen, you need to make the decision to sport betting. If the urge to bet arises,it is advisable you stopwhat you are doing and call someone to share it with, however it is important to avoid people that would trigger your urge for betting,then think about the consequences to your actions, tell yourself to stop thinking about sport betting, and find something else to do immediately.
- Money:sport betting cannot occur without money. Get rid of your debiit cards, let someone else be in charge of your money, have the bank make automatic payments for you, close online betting accounts, and keep only a limited amount of cash on you. However, you will need to find healthy alternatives to. By replacing sport betting behaviors with positive ones, you shift the focus away from the bad and towards the good such as creating new hobbies.
3.Time: sport betting cannot occur if you do not have the time. Schedule enjoyable recreational time for yourself that has nothing to do with sport betting. If you are gambling on your smartphone, find other ways to fill the quiet moments during your day or better still make use of a phone that does not have access to the web.
- The Sporting game:Without a game or activity to bet on there is no opportunity to gamble. For someone in recovery, places and activities linked to gambling can help them avoid a setback. By avoiding these triggers, you can avoid the thoughts and feelings that encourage sport betting. As a sport betting addict, you could also inform sport betting to restrict you from accessing your account to aid the process, then also delete gambling apps and block gambling sites on your smartphone
- Delaying the decision: this allows the time for the urge to pass and for you to feel more in control of the decision. This is different to urge surfing as the focus is on the person using distraction from the urge to bet rather than letting it pass without distraction.Distraction takes the focus temporarily away from the urge and can give you time to rethink your decision to bet
- Consult Professionals: If your sport betting is severe, consider seeking professional help as soon as possible. This would teach you ways to stay away from sport betting as well as refining the methods you are already adapting.