A scholarship is an award that includes offering financial aid to a student to help purse further education. Such awards are offered on the basis of criteria that reflect the values and purposes of the donor of the award.
Obtaining full scholarship from Nigeria can either be Nigeria based or Abroad based. However, studying abroad gives you opportunity to many other things, and that is majorly why many Nigerians have been looking for means to study abroad. Although not everybody is privileged to have the resources to study overseas and this is why there is a scholarship option.
If you are interested in studying abroad and don’t have enough funds, you should consider applying for international scholarships.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AVAILABLE TO INDIVIDUAL:
- Location-based scholarships
- Course or program-based scholarships
- Sports-related scholarships
- Research-based scholarships
- University-funded scholarships
- Organization-funded scholarships
- Government-funded scholarships
- Merit-based Scholarships
- Need-based Scholarships
- Student-specific Scholarships.
- Local or Country-based Scholarships
STEPS TO FOLLOW TO ACQUIRE AN INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
- RESEARCH:Research is very important so as not to make mistakes during the application process. Candidates are advised to research on the institution, choice of course and what it takes to be approved
- CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY:It is important to check through if you are eligible for a desired scholarship. International scholarships have their criteria and requirement, so you should confirm that you have all it takes.
- GET THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Applicants should get the necessary documents ready. If the scholarship requires you to write an exam, prepare for the exam, write a good statement of purpose and prepare all other documents.
- BEGIN WITH YOUR ADMISSION PROCESS:Depending on the scholarship type, some international scholarships require that applicant starts admission process first and probably get the admission before you begin with your scholarship application.
- CONTACT PAST SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS:It is advisable an applicant contact the previous scholarship winners to know what they did right and how you can learn from them.
- APPLY FOR THE AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIPS:The best way to get funds for your undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD pursuits abroad is by applying for international scholarships. If proper research is done, you would be able to find fully funded scholarships that won’t require you to pay any amount.
However, one of the essential steps to getting an international scholarship as a Nigerian is staying in touch with current information and this can be attained when you network with others.
COMMON MISTAKES AN APPLICANT SHOULD NOT MAKE WHEN APPLYING FOR SCHOLARSHIPS:
- ENSURE YOU DO NOT MISS DEADLINES: in the process of application, early submission of application is very important, but if application is submitted late, it would not be acknowledged. Therefore, you have to ensure you pay close attention to deadlines
- APPLY FOR AS MANY AS POSSIBLE SCHOLARSHIPS:It is safer to apply for as many scholarships as you are eligible for, by doing this, it helps increase the probability of bagging at least one of them.
- REVIEW BEFORE SUBMISSION:Make sure that you carefully review all the information, documents required for any college scholarship before submission and alongside ensure you double check that every area of the application was completed before marking the application as complete. If you are not eligible for a particular scholarship, do not try to fit in rather find another in which you tick all boxes.
- CHECK AND EVALUATE EVERY SECTION: In areas where your response is not applicable ensure you write N/A, also if a section does not apply to you, make it known that you saw it and you are able to pay attention to details by writing N/A in that area, put a line through it or write NONE .Also ensure you review the entire application for spelling and grammar mistakes as these can negatively impact your college scholarship application and increase the chances of it getting rejected.
- CHOOSE YOUR ENVELOPE CAREFULLY: In cases whereby, you are not required to forward applications electronically, ensure all documents are inserted into envelopes that it fits into properly to avoid the edges of the documents from being bent when the reviewers remove your application from it. Also ensure that you have the right address and print it clearly on the envelope.