YouTube is an online video sharing and social media platform where users can watch, like, share, comment, and upload their own videos. For many young people, YouTube is used to watch music videos, comedy shows, how-to guides, recipes, and lots more.
Starting a new YouTube channel is simple, and below are the important things you need to know:
1. Setting up an account: this can be done by signing in to YouTube, clicking your picture in the top right corner, selecting “Create a Channel”, adding details to the “about” section, and customizing the look of your channel with a cover photo and profile picture.
2. Find the best video equipment: The clear audio and video on all of your videos is capable of setting you apart from a lot of other YouTubers. However, to get the best audio, it is advisable to use DSLRs or mirrorless cameras, along with other video accessories such as tripods, lenses, and studio lighting. Also, invest in a good microphone that you can mount on your camera for an audible record, and at the same time, be conscious of your recording conditions and make it a habit to check if your audio is clear enough for your viewers to understand.
3. Editing software: as a newbie, editing would be much better with simple programs like Windows Movie Maker or Apple iMovie. Apart from these, there are some other user-friendly editing applications that are easily downloadable.
4. Planning your content: From inception, you should have idea on basically what your YouTube page would be about. However, the best way to increase your views and gain followers is to keep your content interesting and engaging, which would make a lot of followers look forward to your next upload. This is because the more people can relate to your content, the more they will want to click on it and watch it until the end.
5. Inspiration search: sometimes, it can be challenging to come up with fresh, new content and YouTube channel ideas that will match the credibility of your first uploaded videos, but checking out other creators’ videos and recreating ideas can give you an idea of the next content to create.
6. Marketing your YouTube Channel: Marketing your YouTube channel will allow you to gain followers and, as a result, a successful YouTube account. This can be done by giving your content topics that have a good, descriptive title that viewers are likely to write on the search bar and ensuring you include your main keyword or key phrase.
7. Building your network on social media: This can be accomplished by talking to other creators, making friends, and contacting larger YouTubers to inquire about a possible collaboration, as collaborations among creators have proven effective in helping a channel grow and gain new subscribers because it allows both collaborators to gain exposure with each other’s subscriber base.
8. Ignoring all negative comments: irrespective of the size of your channel, there will always be negative comments and people who will make hateful comments and try to bring you down. It is therefore important to seek strength from people who appreciate you and what you do to move past the negativity and continue producing content for them.
9. Upload videos regularly: consistency with your uploads is key. You could as well give your subscribers a schedule on when videos would be uploaded, as this would give your channel a better chance of getting a steady flow of views.
10. Utilizing social media: you can connect your YouTube account to your other social media pages. For instance, you can put the link to your YouTube channel or your latest video on your Instagram profile, Facebook page, and website to increase views and subscribers.
YouTube audience interaction is another key factor for YouTube where you can ask viewers to subscribe to your channel and turn on comments so they can engage with your videos.